Monday (1.11.16) marks 26 years of my life.
With 2015 blessing me with my first house, a wedding, a new roommate, a new job, my first blog, and a niece…I’m can understand why my 25th year flew by so quickly! However, pretty much since my 21st shenanigans, I haven’t truly spent my birthdays celebrating and seriously do not know where the time has gone! This year, I’d love to change that, as well as help you make this year’s birthday something special.
Here are some tips on spending your big day for [YOU] and what I plan to do this time around:
- Don’t be afraid to ask about the plans and/or provide suggestions. If you’re wanting to do something/go somewhere to celebrate…just say so. For example: the other night I asked my husband where he was taking me for dinner. He wasn’t sure yet. So what did I do? I wrote ‘dinner date’ on our weekly meal planner. Since then, he’s already made a suggestion. Guess I’ll be getting that birthday dinner after all!
- Spend time doing something you want to do. Whether you gather a group or go solo…just make sure you take time to enjoy something you don’t get to enjoy all the time. What will I be doing? Well…anyone who knows me well knows that I love Harry Potter. YES-I’m a Potterhead! Though I live not even 2 hours from Universal’s Islands of Adventure (where Harry Potter World is), daily life and a not-so-fond-of-rollercoasters husband prevent me from enjoying it often. The last time I went, in fact, was a year ago for my bachelorette trip. Guess what…as this post goes lives…I’ll actually be on my way there and I couldn’t be more excited! Here’s a fun (yet blurry) pic from almost a year ago when my amazing bridesmaids treated me to a butterbeer-filled bachelorette. #wesolemlyswearthatweareuptonogood
- Make it known. Don’t feel ashamed to let others know it’s your birthday. You’re not being ‘obnoxious/cocky/self-centered’. You are merely stating a fact and sharing your excitement with others. Hey-it’s not like you don’t share everything else on social media anyway! I’ve seen some pretty creative social media images out there…and I’m not gonna lie I must just post one Monday ha!
- Decor Decor Decor! We decorate every other holiday…and unless you don’t celebrate birthdays (or holidays at all for that matter), why can’t you decorate for your big day? I’m seriously considering ordering these beauties right now!!
- Wish yourself a ‘Happy Birthday’. So many of us have fallen into the habit of counting how many wishes we receive via social media, texts, and calls. But honestly guys, who should be more grateful for this life than ourself? We need to acknowledge our blessings thus far and celebrate our future possibilities.